Helping you take care of your family

Current News

South Butler School District to Remove Asbestos from Elementary

Asbestos will be removed from a Jefferson Township elementary school during the summer, according to South Butler School District officials.

The school board authorized Foreman Architects Engineers of Cranberry to receive bids on eliminating asbestos-contaminated bulkheads and ceilings at the school building.

The cancer-causing substance was found during an appraisal of district buildings for probable renovation.

The building was constructed in 1970, when asbestos was an extensively used construction material.

The estimated cost of the project is approximately $200,000. The exact amount could be calculated only after receiving the bids.

The project, which will start once the school year is completed, is expected to be finished by the end of July.

Man Says Occupational Asbestos Exposure Caused Lung Cancer

A lawsuit filed in St. Louis Circuit Court on February 17 says a man developed lung cancer as a result of his regular exposure to asbestos fibers while working as an electrician at a number of different companies from 1962 until 2001.

The suit, which was filed by Larry Buckelew and Barbara Buckelew, names 49 companies as defendants. The lawsuit doesn’t mention where the plaintiffs reside.

The plaintiffs say the defendant corporations were aware of the dangerous features of asbestos, but didn’t exercise sufficient care for Larry Buckelew’s safety.

Larry Buckelew became unable to continue with his career as a result of his deadly cancer, the complaint says.

The eight-count lawsuit seeks compensatory damages, punitive damages and exemplary damages.

Asbestos Debris Discovered Near High School

Environmental officials have discovered around 800 bags of dangerous debris labeled as having asbestos inside from a prohibited waste facility close to Mountain View School.

The violations at Titan Environmental Inc. are being investigated by the state DTSC (Department of Toxic Substances Control) as well as the SCAQMD (South Coast Air Quality Management District).

The waste facility, which has been functioning since 2011 September, is situated very close to the football ground of the Mountain View HS, according to environmental officials. Under state regulations, facilities for dangerous waste should not be operated within five hundred feet of any school.

DTSC spokesperson Jeanne Garcia said the facility doesn’t have enough permits to function as a transporter of harmful waste.

Asbestos Delays Music Building Renovation

New York – Renovation project in the Music Building has been postponed following the discovery of asbestos.

According to Bruce King, the buildings and grounds manager, asbestos was found while workers were demolishing walls of the building. King said asbestos had been used when the structure was built in 1960s.

Asbestos can become dangerous if the material is broken or disturbed. Inhalation of asbestos fibers is the only known reason for mesothelioma, a rare and incurable form of cancer. If asbestos is present in a building, removal of the substance is essential prior to any demolition or renovation works.

Asbestos discovery will add $600,000 to the total expense for the project.

The project had been scheduled to be completed by 2012 June. After the discovery of the cancer-causing substance in the closed building, now it is expected to be finished by mid-August.

County to Study Asbestos at Massena Sunrise Mall

Policymakers in St. Lawrence County decided Monday to conduct a $3,600 survey in the Massena Sunrise Mall for dangerous substances such as asbestos.

St. Lawrence County took title to the Mall building at for approximately $45,000 back taxes. The county then sold it at auction for $5,000 in 2011 October, but returned the money and didn’t transfer the title after deciding that the sole bidder was acting as the former owner’s agent.

After the survey, the county will decide whether it should collect rent from the tenants. At present, the county is unwilling to charge rent as it could make them responsible for shortages within the Mall building. The major issue is the likely presence of asbestos, a known carcinogen, in the building’s basement.

It is said that there were bags containing asbestos on the basement, which was taken out from pipes, but didn’t properly disposed of.

Insurer Files Suit against Montana State over Asbestos Deal

Nebraska – An Omaha-based insurance firm is suing the Montana state for recovering $16 million, which was initially used to cover an extensive settlement of asbestos-linked claims from tenants of the Libby Superfund town.

The litigation filed by the National Indemnity Co. is asking for a court order to return any settlement payments which fell outside the insurance policy of the state.

Majority of the funds from National Indemnity went to a September 2010 deal for $43 million with above one thousand victims of asbestos. The plaintiffs in those cases argued the state was aware for decades that asbestos fibers and dust from a vermiculite mine operated by W.R. Grace was creating public health issues, but didn’t act.

Estimates say approximately 400 people were killed and 1,750 made sick in the Libby area.

Kentucky Widow Sues 49 Companies over Asbestos Death

CHARLESTON – A Greenup (KY) woman has filed an asbestos-related suit against 49 defendant corporations who allegedly exposed her husband to asbestos and thus causing him to develop lung cancer before his death.

The suit was filed by Mary L. Davis, the widow of Jack Colvin Davis, on February 2 in Kanawha Circuit Court. According to the complaint, Jack Colvin Davis was diagnosed with asbestos-related lung cancer on December 28, 2010.

The plaintiff says the defendant companies exposed her husband to asbestos-contaminated products throughout his career as a carpenter and laborer.

The lawsuit states that the companies didn’t warn Jack Davis regarding the risks associated with asbestos exposure.

The defendant companies are blamed for negligence, contaminating buildings and violating expressed warranty.

Mary Davis is expecting a trail to settle all the issues involved in the complaint. The case will be presided over by a visiting judge.

60 Companies Sued over Asbestos-related Lung Cancer

Two plaintiffs are suing 60 defendant companies in an asbestos-related case.

Howard Basso Sr. and Louise Basso have filed a complaint against the defendant corporations on February 3 in added St. Clair County Circuit Court. The suit doesn’t say where the plaintiffs are from.

The plaintiffs say Howard Basso Sr. contracted lung cancer on account of his regular exposure to asbestos-containing products during his employment as a foundry worker. Howard worked with American Motors between 1947 and 1978. He has also worked with Radar Base as a caretaker from 1980 for one year, the complaint says.

Despite being aware of the hazards of asbestos exposure, the defendants failed to provide proper care and caution for the safety of Howard, the lawsuit states.

The five-count complaint is seeking compensatory, punitive and exemplary damages.

66 Companies Sued over Asbestos-related Lung Cancer

A couple is suing a number of companies for exposing the man to deadly asbestos fibers and thus causing him to develop lung cancer.

A lawsuit filed by Robert Deriel Lambert and Judith G. Lambert, a couple from Huntington, named 66 companies as defendants. The suit was filed in Kanawha Circuit Court on January 20.

The couple says Lambert was exposed to lethal asbestos and various products containing asbestos during his employment. He worked as an operator and laborer from 1943 to 1982, the suit says.

The hazards associated with asbestos exposure were known to the companies. But, they allowed Mr. Lambert and other employees to deal with products containing the material, the couple says. The plaintiffs also allege that the defendant companies failed to warn Lambert regarding the dangers of asbestos exposure.

The companies are accused of negligence and breaching federal safety rules.

The Lamberts are seeking a trial to get all the issues involved in the case resolved.

Men Sues 10 Companies over Asbestos Exposure

A combined lawsuit has been filed by 2 men against 10 defendant corporations.

Patrick Turner and William Smedley are suing the companies, claiming that they were exposed to asbestos throughout their employment. The suit was filed in the Civil District Court in Orleans Parish on February 2.

According to the complaint, the plaintiffs were employees in an offshore oil rig. The defendants exposed them to various asbestos-contaminated materials and toxic drilling waste.

Turner and Smedley claim they were injured by their exposure to the harmful substances. The plaintiffs say they suffered severe mental anguish and anxiety about developing fatal diseases like mesothelioma.

The defendants failed to warn its workers of the hazards of asbestos, the suit says. Additionally, the companies failed to provide the workers with a safe working environment. The plaintiffs also say the companies didn’t perform required medical checkups for workers and failed to follow federal safety regulations.

The plaintiffs are asking for unspecified damages.